It might be a short list this week. I spent a good portion of the week alternating between angry, bitter and depressed. Sometimes all three at once. That’s not a good way to live. Let’s find the good.
- My wife surprised me Monday by not only coming home early from work but also suggesting we get food out instead of me cooking dinner.
- I finally talked to someone at a place that owed me a refund and got my refund. It was a pittance, but it was the principle of the thing.
- I have clarity now about my work life. I can stop wasting my time looking for something that will never happen and focus any advancement thoughts on moving out in order to move up.
- Kentucky won Friday night and is moving on to the Elite Eight. Hopefully, I will have more Kentucky wins on the list next week.
- It was warm enough yesterday that I spent a couple of hours outside in shorts and a t-shirt.
That’s it for this week. Hoping for a longer list next week.
This was not a great week. Two stressful days to start the week. My days off to watch basketball made stressful by a sick dog and an anxiety-producing phone call. A bad customer service encounter at a local business. It’s a good week for me to try to find the good to prove that there is good on even the worst of weeks.
- March Madness started this week, so no matter how bad the days were I knew I had basketball to look forward to when I got home.
- I took Thursday afternoon off to be home to watch the games so I saw more of the first round than usual. I’ve been meaning to do that for years.
- Kentucky won their first game easily. It’s nice to have one game that doesn’t stress me out.
- Friday was my normal day off, so I had a second day to watch the games.
- Emergency vet visit did not find anything serious wrong with the dog and she is getting back to normal.
- My daughter made it to and from South Carolina safely.
- Kentucky won a tough game yesterday without their best player so I have real rooting interest in the tournament for another week.
I think that does it for the week. Not a bad list for a bad week. I would probably have more if I thought to make note of things as they happened. Tune in next week to see if the results of the phone call from above mean a really bad or a really good week.
It was generally a good week this week. I started the week with a day good enough to post a good day post and then, while there were some stressful and frustrating times, it was a decent week. I won’t cheat and use the list from Monday for the list today. That would be too easy.
- I will start with something from Monday – I’ve been involved with the state library association almost from the start of my career. I’ve presented at conference three times. I’ve been on the conference committee multiple times. I thought this year would be the first time in a long time I wouldn’t be there and then a received word that I was approved to go and am now registered.
- I’m really enjoying the extra hour of daylight and hope to continue to take advantage of it with walks after work.
- I normally wouldn’t put a job interview on a list of good things before hearing the result, but there are two good things with this one – it’s over and the result will give me final indication on the direction of my future job decisions. It will be good to have that clarity.
- Speaking of MLA, I had a meeting at the offices Thursday morning. It was a nice day for a drive to Baltimore.
- I stopped on the way back to the branch for a nice, quiet lunch with just me and my book.
- Friday was another really nice day and I had another nice lunch outside.
- My daughter was home for spring break when I got home from work. She’s abandoning us and going south to visit a friend tomorrow, but we got one weekend with her home.
- We had lunch at the normal birthday spot for our kids yesterday with both of the kids. It’s unusual these days to get both kids home at the same time.
- My son stayed long enough after lunch for us to play our now traditional game of Life. It’s become the standard for when we are all together at home.
- I have one more day off work today and an excuse to spend it watching TV with my daughter.
Today is the day the NCAA brackets are revealed. I will probably be posting my upset and final four picks tomorrow. Next week’s What’s Good post will probably be filled with basketball-related things, hopefully involving wins by Kentucky.
I should probably save all of this for my weekly What’s Good post, but I’m gonna go ahead and talk about the now. I will confuse the people who know me by being positive.
- I started the day with a free breakfast out. Download those restaurant apps people!
- I an officially official to go to the state library conference.
- My friend and coworker is also officially approved to go to the state library conference.
- I got to spend the day talking about the conference. The conference and the Maryland Library Association has been a very important part of my career. I spent years on the conference committee and running pub quiz and hope to get back the conference committee next year.
- I spent some of the day talking sports with a regular customer.
- I talked sports with another customer when they realized I was wearing a Kentucky jacket and they were wearing a Duke jacket.
- I ate lunch outside.
- I walked the dog after work with no jacket.
- I am enjoying some bourbon while watching The Walking Dead.
- The bourbon is my excuse to any typos.
- It’s still light outside at 6:30
- I can have more bourbon if I feel like it.
Another generally uneventful week. Not much of note at all. Let’s see if I can remember anything that happened.
- Pancake dinner at church Tuesday night. Any excuse to eat pancakes for dinner, especially when someone else cooks them.
- Kentucky won Tuesday night on the road against Ole Miss without Reid Travis.
- I made it out of the dentist office Wednesday morning without them finding a reason I need to go back before my next cleaning.
- I finally convinced myself to use some of my 2200 hours of sick leave to go home early on Thursday and rest to try to get over the cold I’ve had all week.
- I received an email Thursday that I can go to the MLA Conference(pending supervisor approval). I’ve been involved in MLA for my entire career and I was afraid this would be the year I had to miss the conference.
- I also received an email on Friday about interviewing for a promotion at work.
- I had half a day on Friday after some cleaning to rest, watch TV and read.
- Kentucky beat Florida, Tennessee lost to Auburn and now Kentucky is the 2 seed in the SEC tournament and will have an earlier game Friday night.
- Duke lost to UNC giving Kentucky a better chance at a 1 seed in the tournament.
- Murray State won last night and will be in the NCAA tournament so I will have two Kentucky teams to cheer for in March Madness.
As you can see, we are entering the time of year when my life will revolve around basketball. I love this time of year.
This will be a difficult one, not because it was a bad week, but because it was a very uneventful week. Not a lot happened good or bad. Also, I’m old now and can barely remember the week. Let’s give it a shot. I am not going to force it to ten this week.
- My son came home for dinner Sunday night. It’s always good to start the week with one of my kids home.
- I covered the desk at a different branch Monday afternoon. I always enjoy getting out to different places to break up the work week.
- My wife was home when I got home Monday evening so I had less time alone this week.
- I had a training Thursday afternoon, so I had another opportunity to get out and see different people.
- The training ended early so I took an hour of personal leave and left work at 4.
- I still had a free coffee and donut to use at Krispy Kreme so I not only left early but also got a free donut and coffee for the drive home.
- I was a little sick yesterday, but that did force me to just take the day off completely and nap on the couch. I needed a day like that.
That’s it. Only seven this week. It was a very boring, uneventful week. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.
We realized last night that we have no real memory of Monday. My wife asked me what we did for dinner that night. I have no recollection at all. Let’s see if I can remember anything else about the week.
- Monday was a holiday. I didn’t have to go to work. I did nothing all day but read a book and watch TV. Why can’t every day be like that?
- Tuesday night I had a free dinner at Houlihan’s with my free birthday coupon they sent me. I ate alone and read my book like a loser, but you can’t argue with a free meal.
- Wednesday I finally got my snow day. It was also on my 1-9 day so I not only got a day off, I got my evening day off.
- Friday was my regular day off so my week, was work every other day. I could get used to that schedule.
- I went to a retirement party for someone at work on Friday afternoon and had a chance to see some work people I don’t see regularly.
- I had book club at my house Friday night so I got to follow the party with more time with friends(though they are all old and left at 9:30)
- They brought ice cream cake and gifts for my birthday.
- I won $6 on the scratch offs they bought me.
- This was the other gift
- I had to work yesterday, but I started the day with a free pastry at Panera and ended it with a free burger at Red Robin and BOGO Blizzards at Dairy Queen and then the Kentucky basketball game.
Now I enter into the days of no more birthday gifts, no more free birthday food, no more random days off. No more filling my what’s good list with free stuff and days off.
For once, it shouldn’t be hard to find good things this week. It would be sad if I couldn’t find good things in my birthday week.
- I started out the week with a 90-minute delay at work, so my three day weekend had a small extension.
- I had a reason to leave the branch again Thursday. Regardless of the reason, it’s always nice to get out of the building and see people I don’t normally see.
- We got a yes to explore a possible class at work when I was expecting a no.
- I went out with work friends after work on Friday night. It was slightly better than sitting on my couch watching TV.
- We picked the kids up and went to lunch at Old Ebbitt Grill in DC for my birthday.
- We spent a little time wandering around DC after lunch instead of heading straight home.
- A lot of people took the time to say happy birthday to me on Facebook even though I’m a terrible person who never takes the time to do that for my Facebook friends.
- My son’s presentation was accepted to a conference in Portland in June.
- Kentucky beat Tennessee last night. Beating Tennessee is always good. Beating them when they are #1 is especially good.
- I still have two more days off before I have to go back to work.
Here’s hoping I have a snow day on my list for next week.
This was not a great week. I’m not sure I can make it to ten good things today. Let’s see what happens.
- My wife and I went out to dinner Monday night after work. We don’t go out enough. We tend to do carry out if we get food out. It was a nice change.
- It was really warm Tuesday and I was able to eat lunch outside.
- We had several really nice weather days this week.
- I had a meeting out of branch Thursday afternoon. Meetings aren’t necessarily great, but getting out of the branch is.
- The meeting was at my old branch so I got to see some friends I don’t see every day anymore.
- I took my birthday leave yesterday and Friday was my normal day off, so I had a three-day weekend.
- After a few errands and some cleaning Friday morning, I’ve been able to just relax so far this weekend.
- My free birthday stuff has been coming in via apps and emails. I had my free Mission BBQ sandwich last night.
- Kentucky won both games this week and now have a 10 game winning streak.
- I have one more day off today before I have to go back to the real world.
We are back to the weeks where it isn’t as easy to find the good things. My kids are away again and my wife and I are back to work. This means I have a lot more time at home alone and days dealing with the stuff that makes me like this
So let’s find the good
- Due to app rewards and gift cards I had an excuse to go out two morning this week for breakfast, coffee and reading time.
- I didn’t get a full snow day this week, but I did get to leave work an hour early on Tuesday. I will take what I can get.
- Philly Pretzel Company has been doing a thing where people with certain names or names starting with certain letters get three free pretzels. This week I met the criteria and got free pretzels.
- The snow and the cold this week meant a quieter, less stressful week at work as far as the public goes.
- My wife surprisingly got home from work early on Thursday due to an off-site meeting so I had less time alone to fill.
- I cooked something new Thursday night and it didn’t make us sick or taste terrible.
- My free birthday food from the various restaurant apps and email lists have started showing up. I will be able to treat myself a lot over the next couple of weeks.
- The Youth Media Awards were announced Monday morning and I’ve already been able to finish both the Newbery and the Printz winners.
- Kentucky won two more basketball games this week and should crack the top 5 in the polls.
- It will be somewhat warm and sunny for the next few days.