The lyrics below are some of my favorites from a song from one of my favorite bands, Patent Pending. I’ve also included a video of the song if you want to listen. I love the lyrics and I wish I could live them a little more. I feel like life would be a lot easier if I could care a little less. If I could stop worrying about what others think and just be the me I want to be. Sometimes I feel like I’ve spent so much time trying to be who others want me to be that I’ve forgotten who I am. As the band says – what’s the point of stressing out about what everyone thinks? All this stressing out and caring about how others see me has not really done anything for me. Why do I keep doing it? Why do I care if people don’t like me? It’s their loss, not mine. It’s time to stop worrying, stop trying to be who others want me to be and just be Tater. If that isn’t good enough for someone then I don’t need them in my life. So, enough melodrama – click on the video and enjoy the song.
I still remember when I cared what people thought about me
They mocked my music and my hair like I was some kind of freak
I was awkward, paranoid, so scared that I’d barely speak
Until I said “Fuck it, they can suck it! It’s more fun being me!”
Yeah, I know who I am
I do what I want ’cause I know that I can
So what’s the point of stressing out about what everyone thinks?
It doesn’t matter at all ’cause they’ve got nothing on me
They sit at home and bitch and moan ’cause they’re all too scared to live
They can throw their sticks and their stones but I ain’t got no fucks left to give
I was contemplating a more serious post about religious freedom, but I have neither the time nor the energy for something like that. Maybe tomorrow when I work the evening shift and will have more time in the morning. So, I will do a post about music even though I’m pretty sure I’ve said all of this before.
Right now, I am listening to less of the music on my phone and more music on Sirius. I’ve discovered that I really like the music they play on the 60’s station. I do spend a lot of time on the 80’s as well, but I stop on the 60’s a lot. I have also listened to a lot of 80’s and 90’s country recently. The 90’s country is a lot of my favorite music from when I was living outside Cincinnati. I didn’t really like a lot of the pop music in the 90’s so I gravitated toward country. Turns out I still like it.
As for the music on my phone – yesterday I emailed my wife a link to the website for merchandise from Jaret and Kelly and their new album. She responded with “Who are these people?” These people are the lead singers of my favorite bands Bowling for Soup and The Dollyrots. How could she not know this? I play the music a lot. A good portion of my personal music collection stems from BFS. Here’s a synopsis.
Head some BFS music. Loved it. Started listening to more.
Attended a BFS concert. Patent Pending and The Dollyrots opened. Loved both of them. Bought their music. Attended more concerts with some iteration of these bands.
Jaret from BFS and Ryan Hamilton from Smile Smile are good friends. They do some albums together as People on Vacation. It is really good music. I bought the albums.
Ryan does a solo album. I buy that album and see Ryan play a house party at a stranger’s house in Virginia.
Ryan starts a new band called Ryan Hamilton and the Traitors, First album is really good. They sign with a label and are now Ryan Hamilton and the Harlequin Ghosts. New album comes this month.
So now I have 5 bands I love all coming from randomly hearing a BFS song on the radio one day.
My son at his first concert with Jaret from Bowling for Soup
Me with Kelly from The Dollyrots
It’s been a while since I did one like this, so I am going to put my music on shuffle and write a sentence or two about the songs that come up. I might cheat and skip some songs.
- Hey Diane – Bowling For Soup – Off their new album. The interesting part of this song for me is that the Diane on the cover of the single is someone I met when I went to her house to hear another artist play her living room. Of course anyone who knows me knows BFS is my favorite band.
- Hey Six – Patent Pending – Another of my favorite bands, but I tend to skip this song for some reason. I guess it’s not one of my favorites. Or maybe I just skipped it once or twice and it became a habit. I will listen next time it comes up to see if I remember.
- Dream On – Aerosmith – One of my favorite bands of all time. I should probably dig up my “Best of” CDs and listen to them again. You can’t go wrong with Aerosmith.
- Let Your Light Shine – Unsearchable Riches – This is leftover from when my son used the same Apple ID as me and he bought this after seeing them at a conference We sing this song in church sometimes. I like it so I kept it.
- Ifly – Ball Park Music – Another leftover from my son that I kept because I really like the song. It does contain the f word, so don’t click if that offends you I like a few more of their songs as well.
- Cheaters Never Change – Ryan Hamilton and the Traitors – From the new album. Ryan is the artist I saw at Diane from #1’s house. I discovered his music when he worked with Jaret from BFS in the band People on Vacation. I really like his stuff and he seems like a really nice guy. He gave me the wrong time for the show at Diane’s house so I arrived way early and ended up spending time sitting around the house with them until the show actually started. They were all really nice about the weird guy hanging around even though I’m sure they wished I would go away.
- This Love Can Save Us All – Patent Pending – Can’t find a good link for it. I also found Patent Pending via BFS. They opened the show in Baltimore when they had to move to a rooftop terrace when Sonar was closed. It ended up a small acoustic show where my son got to meet members of BFS while Patent Pending played. They are very good and also seem like nice guys.
- Never Wanted Your Love – She & Him – This was a free song from Starbucks. I skipped it forever, but recently listened again and remembered I really like it. Not my normal style of music, but it is very good.
- All Shook Up – Elvis – My favorite artist of all time and one of my favorite songs. I will always sing along with this one with gusto. If you drive past me and I am really into singing with the music, it will likely be this one. I was always more an Elvis guy more than a Beatles guy.
- This Gigantic Robot Kills – MC Lars – This came up on the BFS Pandora station. It is one of two MC Lars songs I have on my phone. This one also features Suburban Legends, another band I really like. Just a really fun song.
So, there you have it. A look at my weird music selection.
Challenge Day 7 asks me to name 10 songs I am loving right now. I would bet that unless you pay attention to my posts on Facebook, you probably don’t know these songs. That’s a shame because they are all very good. Do yourself a favor, click on the link and enjoy some good music.
- Be Kind Rewind – Ryan Hamilton
- Until the Sun Comes Up – Patent Pending
- NSFW – Patent Pending
- Just Be Happy – Suburban Legends
- This Gigantic Robot Kills – MC LARS
- And I Think You Like Me Too– Bowling for Soup
- Journey to the End – People on Vacation
- 4 Letter Verb – Ryan Hamilton
- Get Weird – The Dollyrots
- Envy – Bowling for Soup
I keep thinking about writing something about each song, but I’m finding it hard to verbalize what I like about each song. I will say that what I like about them and the artists/band is that they are generally upbeat songs. Journey to the End is an exception but it is a great song. Also, I have met Ryan Hamilton, three members of BFS and Kelly from The Dollyrots and they are all nice, friendly people(or at least good at pretending to be nice, friendly people) and that does make me like the music even more.