I saw a post on Patton Oswalt’s Facebook about this. His was a joke, but I decided to do mine. I am taking time at lunch when I should be reading to compile the list, thus falling further behind in my reading goal. Also – I am just googling movies of each year. I might miss something.
1969 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
1971 Dirty Harry
1972 The Godfather
1974 Blazing Saddles
1975 One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
1977 Star Wars
1982 Fast Times at Ridgemont High
1984 Beverly Hills Cop
1985 Better Off Dead
1986 Top Gun
1987 Raising Arizona
1989 Dead Poets Society
1990 Edward Scissorhands
1991 Cape Fear
1992 My Cousin Vinny
1993 This one was tough – Tombstone edges out Groundhog Day
1994 Pulp Fiction
1995 Toy Story
1997 Grosse Point Blank
1999 Office Space
2000 Remember the Titans
2002 28 Days Later
2004 Shaun of the Dead
2005 Hitch(based on the movies listed, this year in movies sucked)
2006 The Departed
2007 The Mist
2008 Gran Torino
2010 Easy A
2011 Crazy Stupid Love
2013 The Internship
2014 Guardians of the Galaxy
2015 The Martian
2016 A lot of movies left unseen – Deadpool so far
Now, these aren’t necessarily the best movies. Just the ones I like the best. Some just based on which one I watch every time it is on TV.
It’s been a while since I did one like this, so I am going to put my music on shuffle and write a sentence or two about the songs that come up. I might cheat and skip some songs.
- Hey Diane – Bowling For Soup – Off their new album. The interesting part of this song for me is that the Diane on the cover of the single is someone I met when I went to her house to hear another artist play her living room. Of course anyone who knows me knows BFS is my favorite band.
- Hey Six – Patent Pending – Another of my favorite bands, but I tend to skip this song for some reason. I guess it’s not one of my favorites. Or maybe I just skipped it once or twice and it became a habit. I will listen next time it comes up to see if I remember.
- Dream On – Aerosmith – One of my favorite bands of all time. I should probably dig up my “Best of” CDs and listen to them again. You can’t go wrong with Aerosmith.
- Let Your Light Shine – Unsearchable Riches – This is leftover from when my son used the same Apple ID as me and he bought this after seeing them at a conference We sing this song in church sometimes. I like it so I kept it.
- Ifly – Ball Park Music – Another leftover from my son that I kept because I really like the song. It does contain the f word, so don’t click if that offends you I like a few more of their songs as well.
- Cheaters Never Change – Ryan Hamilton and the Traitors – From the new album. Ryan is the artist I saw at Diane from #1’s house. I discovered his music when he worked with Jaret from BFS in the band People on Vacation. I really like his stuff and he seems like a really nice guy. He gave me the wrong time for the show at Diane’s house so I arrived way early and ended up spending time sitting around the house with them until the show actually started. They were all really nice about the weird guy hanging around even though I’m sure they wished I would go away.
- This Love Can Save Us All – Patent Pending – Can’t find a good link for it. I also found Patent Pending via BFS. They opened the show in Baltimore when they had to move to a rooftop terrace when Sonar was closed. It ended up a small acoustic show where my son got to meet members of BFS while Patent Pending played. They are very good and also seem like nice guys.
- Never Wanted Your Love – She & Him – This was a free song from Starbucks. I skipped it forever, but recently listened again and remembered I really like it. Not my normal style of music, but it is very good.
- All Shook Up – Elvis – My favorite artist of all time and one of my favorite songs. I will always sing along with this one with gusto. If you drive past me and I am really into singing with the music, it will likely be this one. I was always more an Elvis guy more than a Beatles guy.
- This Gigantic Robot Kills – MC Lars – This came up on the BFS Pandora station. It is one of two MC Lars songs I have on my phone. This one also features Suburban Legends, another band I really like. Just a really fun song.
So, there you have it. A look at my weird music selection.