I still look at Facebook way too much. I was scrolling this morning and came across a post by someone I knew in high school with advice for people applying for jobs.
The advice in general was good – Take a look at your social media and clean it up in case they look.
The bad – What she sees as “bad”
- your tongue sticking out with a visible piercing
- giving the peace sign
- with alcohol in your hand
- skimpy clothes
- selfies in general
So, for her and the other employers chiming in it is bad to go out to have a good time, have a tongue piercing, use “bad” language, and post selfies. They won’t hire you if they see this. I would bet these people would also decline to employ people with visible tattoos. That’s also a big one for the old, traditionalists who have too much hiring power.
It’s not the young people who need to change. It’s the old people judging a new generation against their generation’s values.
Other judging I’ve seen recently
- If you say you are tired of the current Jeopardy champion you are transphobic
- If you say you don’t like an author going pandemic heavy in a new book you are an anti-vax, anti-mask, science-denying MAGA
- An article in the newspaper about Wordle is stupid and a waste of time. It’s just a game. Get a life.
- All the people who think others are not masking enough, masking too much, not wearing the right mask
- shaming about not pandemic-ing properly.
I’m just tired of all of it.