I posted back in January about goals for the year. I checked in before, but it has been a while. It won’t be long before it is time to start thinking about 2020 goals. Let’s see how I’m doing on the ones I set for 2019.
- My usual read 100 books goal – I’m way behind on the total number of books, but I think I’m close or ahead in pages read. I’ve read a lot of pretty big books this year. I mentioned reading different authors and older books I’ve never read. I’ve done a better job with this one. I’ve read some of my favorites, but I’ve also read authors I’ve never read before. Running a book club at work has helped with this one. I still think I need to make more time for reading. I also think stress, depression, and anxiety has hindered my reading this year. Getting my mind in a better place will help with this goal.
- I would like to spend less time sitting at home on the couch and more time out of the house doing stuff – Mixed results. I have gone to see a few movies on my Friday off. I’m going to a concert in DC Friday night. We went to food truck night. It’s still a struggle. It’s so easy to come home and sit on the couch. It’s easy to make excuses to stay at home. Time, housework, etc. It’s even easier when you live with someone who has no interest in going out to do things. It’s hard to get motivated to get out of the house when you know you will be going it alone.
- I would like to spend more time outside – I eat outside for lunch at work as much as possible. It’s been possible a lot more since we’ve gone from too much rain to no rain. I would read more if I would sit on the deck more instead of trying to read on the couch with the TV on. I take the dog for a walk when the weather is good and will be leaving for a short walk before work as soon as I finish typing this. So, again, mixed results. Doing better, but could do more.
- Find some way to not dread leaving the house in the morning – This one is kind of out of my control. Not much I can change about my situation. I can try, but it is up to others so my options are limited. Therapy would probably help. I should really just give in and go.
- I want to figure out if I should try to write something besides a blog post I can write in 15 minutes or less – So far the answer is no. I’ve not really even tried to write anything different than my normal blog post. My cousin was on me when I saw her recently to write a book. I’m still not sure I have a book in me, but if I took the time I could write a more thoughtful, researched article. Unfortunately, these days it is hard for me to even write a 15-minute blog post.
- Whenever my friends from high school plan the 50th birthday celebration for the class this year I want to do what it takes to get there even if that again means two days of driving for one day there – If they actually did this no one told me. That seems possible.
- I would like to make the time to do a couple more short trips to Kentucky to see my family even if it means taking a long weekend and driving a lot in a few days to do so – I have plans to go to Kentucky over Veteran’s Day weekend. This is the only one I ended up doing.
So, the results are mixed. I feel like I could use these same goals for 2020.
dad, librarian, UK fan, Ravens fan, future hermit