Last week Ritu shared her post in the Ten Positive Things Challenge and I decided that it was something I should do. The challenge is to write ten positive things about yourself. I have already started a weekly thing of writing about good things that happened during the past week as I tend to focus on the negative. Thinking about ten good things about me personally seems like a good thing to do since, as much as I pretend otherwise, I tend to focus on the negatives about myself as well. So, let’s see if I can think of ten positive things about myself.
- I’m Hilarious – This is the one thing I say about myself that I actually believe. I am hilarious. Not funny enough to be a stand up comic or anything, but I’m pretty funny. It’s the reason people actually read what I post on Facebook.
- I’m Loyal – I stand by my friends and family. You would have to do something pretty terrible for me to stop being your friend. Even if I don’t see or talk to you on a regular basis anymore, I would still be there for you if you needed me.
- I Know How to Relax – This doesn’t seem like a big deal, but I know a lot of people who struggle with this one. They feel the need to be busy all the time and judge those who take time to relax and recharge. I have no trouble occasionally spending my day off reading and relaxing,
- I’m an Idea Guy – I’m pretty good with coming up with good ideas for various things. I’ve had several very successful programs at work, one for which I won an award because I can come up with a good idea here and there.
- I’m a Good Dad – I might be mediocre at everything else in life, but the one thing I know for sure is that I’m a good dad. It’s the job I have that is the most important and the one that I think I’ve succeeded at.
- I’m On Time – A lot of people don’t think this one matters, but I believe that being on time for things shows respect for others. If my departure time is solely up to me I will always be on time.
- I Take Good Pictures – Mainly of objects, not people, but I can take a good picture, especially considering I generally only use my phone. Can you tell I’m grasping for straws already?
- I Don’t Give Up – I keep getting to a point where I’ve been turned down for so many promotions that I say I’m done. I’m never trying again. Then another job opens and there I am trying again. Some might say that is a sign of insanity, but I choose to believe it is just me not giving up. Someday maybe someone in my organization will actually believe in me and hire me. Maybe I am insane.
- I Think for Myself – I don’t follow the crowd. I make up my own mind on things and have no problem having a different opinion than my friends and family. I’m not going to pretend to have the same opinion with someone just to make them like me. I want people to like me for who I am and if they can’t do that, then I guess we can’t be friends.
- I Can Go It Alone – I figured this one out a long time ago when I went to college. I can survive and get by without the support of anyone else. I’ve learned to be comfortable with doing things alone. I have no problem eating out alone with just me and my book. I’m going to a concert alone this month and might go to another alone in August. This is especially important now that my kids are older and away for most of the year.
That was hard. I had a lot of trouble coming up with ten good things about myself. I’m not comfortable saying good things about myself or even thinking good things about myself.
dad, librarian, UK fan, Ravens fan, future hermit