Places Not to Have a Conversation

It’s Monday. I woke up before 6 and couldn’t go back to sleep. Let’s see if 2 cups of coffee and breakfast have given me the ability to write a coherent post(I’m pretending that a coherent post is ever possible for me). So, here we go. Some places to stop having conversations.

1. Really the only one that really matters to me – In front of a communal coffee pot. I’m really happy that you are happy to see your friend at church/conference/meeting. I’m glad that you have a lot to say to each other. Please don’t say it in front of the coffee pot. Get your coffee and move to another area to have the conversation. People are trying to get coffee and it could be dangerous to get in their way. The also applies to the same place, but in front of the food.
  2. On your cell phone in the middle of a public library – I really think this applies to most public places, but the library is the worst. A short, quiet call can be tolerated, but no one, in any public place, needs to hear your loud phone call. Take it outside or call them back later.
  3. In church during the singing – I guess for a lot of people, the music portion of worship isn’t considered worship. It’s just the warm up act for the main event, the sermon. I’ve been to many worship services at churches and conferences and have found that many people feel that the music part of worship is time to have a conversation with their friend. Not only are you missing out on an important part of worship, you are also being rude to the people who have worked hard to lead the music.
  4. During a movie, at a theater and at home. The theater is worse because you are bothering complete strangers. If you need to talk during a movie, please wait for the DVD. No one wants to pay to see a movie and have to listen to morons around them instead of the movie. I also get annoyed when my family talks during movies(and TV shows) at home. I’ve finally started pausing what we are watching when they start talking because they tend to have conversations during important dialogue. They also sometimes randomly leave the room in the middle. It’s weird.
  5. Any place that might block traffic – Both cars and foot traffic. The middle of a parking lot, the entrance to a parking lot, the middle of the hall at a conference, in a doorway, at the top or bottom of the stairs. Any place where someone’s movement is impeded by you. Have some awareness of what is around you. Move to the side and let people pass.
  6. Really any place that will annoy me.

14 thoughts on “Places Not to Have a Conversation

1. Remedial Stitcher August 13, 2018 / 7:54 am

Number 5 is my personal peeve. Don’t block the stairs! Don’t block the aisles! Gah!

Liked by 2 people

2. LA August 13, 2018 / 7:57 am

All great places to not have a conversation. I was in a touristy part of manhattan yesterday….at the corner of a major intersection is also not convenient, especially when the sidewalk is under construction…

3. kedawithani August 13, 2018 / 8:52 am

Grrr… definitely no. 5 for me… on the bus as well… omg… hate that… I don’t need to hear your convo about how the food you forgot to put in the fridge…

4. Tracey August 13, 2018 / 8:55 am

Just returned from a trip and was quite annoyed at people on the rental car shuttle bus and even the plane as it was going d`1o

5. Tracey August 13, 2018 / 8:56 am

Wow, sorry! My cat literally walked over the keyboard. As I was saying, very annoying to have people on the plane or rental car shuttle bus on their cells phones!

6. Sann August 13, 2018 / 9:37 am

So true! An important post indeed… Blocking the stairs and, ina movie theatre… OMG.Its ridiculous.
    Thanks for this post, it will help everyone.

7. rachaelstray August 13, 2018 / 10:08 am

I agree with every single one of these. It’s so annoying it’s like get out of the way!!

8. Jess (Randomly Jess) August 22, 2018 / 3:20 am

Wait… you don’t want me to try to have a full conversation while you try to watch a movie at home? All this time, I thought that was why I watched movies at home… because I talk to much! 🙂