There has been a lot of talk at work today about the lottery and what we would do with the money. I told people I was going to buy the Playboy Mansion and live with Hugh for a while, but I wouldn’t really do that. Here is what I say I would actually do if I won the lottery:
- Sign the ticket
- Hire my accountant/wife as my financial advisor(although she is sometimes surprisingly bad at math)
- Claim the money quick because I would be afraid I would lose the ticket.
- Remain anonymous
- Quit my job
- Set up trust funds for the kids
- Pay off the debts of my family members
- Buy my mom a house
- Buy a better car, but not an extravagant car
- Remodel my basement to make it nicer for social events/man cave
- Enjoy life
- Travel a lot and in first class
- Splurge responsibly
I would like to think I would stick to this and not make ridiculous purchases, but who knows how crazy millions of dollars might make me. There is still a part of me that would want to use the money to buy a stake in a professional sports team. Someone would need to talk me down from that. I would also be tempted to hire a car service to drive me everywhere because I hate driving. I guess I could just Uber.
Of course, I will be lucky if I win $4. If I won $4, I would go blow it all at Krispy Kreme. I’m a wild man.