I generally keep most of my Facebook statuses public. Periodically, something happens that makes me consider changing that. Usually, it’s when some random person I don’t know decides to take offense at something I shared without actually reading the article or knowing why I shared it. I always make the decision to stay public. Here are my reasons why:
1. The only time anyone reads this ridiculous blog is when it posts to Facebook. If I’m going to insist on writing stupid stuff on occasion, I would like to get a few hits. The only way that happens is if a lot of people see it on Facebook. Keeping it public allows for the possibility of new people reading it.
2. I enjoy seeing random people who are friends of friends liking my posts on Facebook. It is a narcissism thing, I know, but I like to see that my posts are reaching people outside of my circle of friends.
3. I don’t post things I wouldn’t want my boss, mom or pastor(all friends on Facebook) to see. I admit that I do share some articles, mainly by Drew Magary, that have profanity, but I have issues several warnings about those. Besides those, most of my posts are random innocuous thoughts from the weird place that is my head and boring posts about what I’m doing. No reason to hide that.
4. Along those same lines, it makes me thinks about what I post. If I have filters and assume they are working I might feel comfortable posting in anger something I will regret. If I know the whole world could see it it makes me thinks about what I’m about to say.
5. Last, and most important, I think I’m hilarious and that the world should not be deprived of my humor. Everyone should get a chance to read my posts. Why should my friends be the only ones who get to enjoy the awesome and hilarious Tater?
3 thoughts on “Why I Keep My Facebook Public”
Yup! I was so happy that I can “Follow” you on Facebook too. I think a friend request would be too much lol then you go unfriend me because you don’t know me, and we don’t talk, and we never met hahahaha
At least yours would make a little sense since I know who you are. I still get random requests from complete strangers. I’m just too popular. 🙂
Reblogged this on The World's Common Tater and commented:
My Survivor recap that no one will read will come tonight or tomorrow morning. For now, I am reblogging this one because I thought about it when a friend of a friend commented on a post yesterday.