The big local news recently was the announcement that Ray Rice received a 2 game suspension after punching his then fiance and knocking her out. I am appalled at the fact that Rice’s suspension was so short and by the fact that the Ravens organization is standing there with open arms ready to take him back immediately. I, for one, would rather Ray Rice not be on my team this year.
On the surface, this might seem to go against my “people deserve a second chance” post regarding Michael Vick Here is why I feel it is different and logical.
1. Michael Vick committed a crime, plead guilty to the crime and served time for the crime. Ray Rice made excuses and did what he could to avoid actually paying for his crime at all.
2. Michael Vick was suspended indefinitely by the NFL when he plead guilty to his crimes. Ray Rice got a 2 game suspension.
3. Michael Vick served his time and then had to go somewhere else to start over. Ray Rice will not pay for his crimes and is being welcomed back to the same town with open arms.
4. While violence against animals is horrible, I feel violence against woman is much, much worse. The NFL obviously disagrees.
5. All of this Ray Rice stuff sends an obvious message that the NFL and the Ravens organization do not take violence against women seriously.
Had Rice served time for his crimes, served a lengthy NFL suspension for his crime and then come back to try to start over, I would feel the same as I did for Vick. Everyone deserves a second chance, but it’s really not a second chance when you never had to pay for your crime in the first place.
dad, librarian, UK fan, Ravens fan, future hermit